Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Deep in the wilderness of Atlanta

I'm known for not being able to remember names of people, places or things, but I always ask. So one day about a year ago I was on our porch and was leaning on the railing when happened to look up to see a bunch of birds at a neighbor's feeder. The thought bubble went up and I knew what I was going to do. I went to the local hardware store and bought a basic suet feeder, because that is something my brother and I put up as kids in PA. Within days of putting the feeder in the porch we had birds. The suet is a solid food you put in a cage and it brings in a lot of birds, but would read things on the internet and I keep buying more feeders and different kinds of seeds. Here are a few pictures of my bird friends, now as I stated at the start I don't do well with remembering names , but a couple months back Sarah and I were in a book store and I bought a small bird book. Peterson First Guides, these are smaller Peterson books with only about 150 pages, this book was said to be good for beginners and the back yard follower like I am at the moment. So the pictures will have names. This is a warning I'm using a book so if you see something that is wrong just let me know.



This is a Carolina Chickadee




This is a male Cardinal , but note where it is looking. It is looking to the feeder that my neighbor has that got all this started. I still haven't had many Cardinals on my porch to this point.



This is the female Cardinal she too is looking to fly up to my neighbor for some dinner.





This is a great shot of my Downy Woodpecker hanging on my suet feeder. I think there are about 4 to 6 different Downy Woodpeckers who frequent my feeders.



Here is another type of feeder I have and when I first hung it I was a little skeptical, because it is a mesh bag full of grass seed. Within a couple weeks it was attracting birds and now they frenzy around it at times.



The female House Finch at this time of year is almost always on my porch. The plants you see in the picture around her are my tomato plants.



This is the male House Finch some days there will be 3 or 4 just hanging on the socks, or on my dish feeder eating sunflower seeds.



This is my favorite visitor, it is a Tufted Titmouse. They have a blue gray tint to them and the belly looks cream color. My favorite part is the crest, lots of birds have them but these guys wear them well.

I have just bought a hummingbird feeder and there have been sightings of them already, so keep checking to see if I can snap a shot of one. There are also times when some of these birds I've shown you make such a mess on my porch that I get 3 or 4 Mourning Doves land here and clean up some of the mess. Some other birds I've had visit the porch are; Red Bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, American Robin, and now what I think was the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.


I will do another bird post in a couple months when the weather changes because that seems to change the types of birds we see around here. The only reason you'd see something sooner on the bird front is if I somehow snap a shot of the hummingbird. Well as a science teacher told be once 'always keep your eye open to nature and you may just see something amazing.' I never thought to keep my eyes open to nature in a city, but look at all the nature I've got on my porch.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the feeders!!! We actually might get a few for hummingbirds here. They like my petunias and we live in the woods. I might take a page from your book. :)

    ReplyDelete