Thursday, July 15, 2010

Peanuts; Hot Dogs; COLD BEER!

So as promised a post about something other then the great outdoors. I want to talk about two main things on with this post first is baseball on the radio. Now I'm a big sports fan and always have been and for most sports I love seeing them live or on the TV. As for baseball I love the third option and that is the radio. The radio is something that has always been there growing up, and the same can be said for my parents and even their parents.


Listening to a ball game on the radio somehow takes me back in time. It is an amazing art to be able to paint a picture like these announcers can. I am sad when I hear about these old radio men dying off, but it is happening and I just hope there are enough people out there who can still call a game the way the greats did. Now much to my father-in-law's dismay and most of my family back in PA I think I've become some what of a Braves fan. I guess the truth is I live in Atlanta and the Braves are doing well so I'm following them closely. It is easy to be a fan when you can listen to every game. There is something about listening to the game in the car, at work,or even just on the porch in a nice night.
The broadcaster can make you fell like you are sitting in the cheap seats looking down on a green field screaming at your favorite players. The only sounds these guys work with is a constant roar of the crowd, the occasional scream from and umpire, and the sounds of the ball on the bat. That crack sends chills down my spine. Sometimes when it is happening at the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded and 2 outs it will make you skip a beat in hopes to hear that it is a home run ball flying off the bad. This crack always seems to happen when the broadcaster is not talking , that is an art in its self. So to all of you baseball radio broadcasters out there I am tipping my hat to you.

Now for something that goes hand in hand with baseball, beer. I like a good drink now and then weather it is a beer or a good liquor. In this case it is a beer, this beer is something different for me and it fits well for summer. In my case I bought a case of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA brewed in Delaware



I don't plan to bore you with history of IPA or even the history of beer. The best I can do is tell you that I know a lot of beer drinkers and some with some real smarts who would laugh at me even attempting a review. So with that warning I will give a simple idea of what to expect.




Dogfish Head has a warm start almost lager like, and then the hops kick in. The hops are very grainy but it is mellow and bright grain feel. Being brewed so close to the beach I think the brewers grasped the idea of summer refreshment, but that being said most if not all IPAs have a light feel. This one is just different, I have no way of explaining it any better except to say it tastes great after spending 7 to 8 hours in 97 plus degree weather. It is simply refreshing to come home from work start eating dinner, and have an IPA.


Bruce





No comments:

Post a Comment